Some recent news items on student research Posted on January 28th, 2010 by

Once in a while I like to use this blog to share some links to blog posts and news stories about student research at Gustavus, especially stories I hadn’t covered here already. Let me know if I’ve missed your favorite story, but here are a few that I’ve read this fall/winter:

Involvement at Its Finest – The Gustavian Weekly’s “Gustie of the Week” (10/30/09) is Adam Strand. The article mentions his summer research experience:

New ICP-MS in chemistry, geology departments – Obtained by a grant from the National Science Foundation, this instrument is a marvelous addition to Gustavus’ “toolbox” of instruments for student/faculty research and will be a resource for the region. Congratulations to Professors Jeff Jeremiason, Julie Bartly, and Laura Triplett who wrote the grant proposal!

Patricia Lindell Scholarship winner announced – Allie Skjerven will be doing research with Prof. Julie Gilbert in Spring 2010 on how students use space in libraries.

Fall 2009 issue of Firethorne released – I haven’t read this issue yet, but have really enjoyed past issues. For those not in the know, Firethorne is a literary and graphic arts magazine containing Gustavus student work and edited by Gustavus students.

New scanning laser Doppler vibrometer in physics – Professor Tom Huber received a grant to purchase this instrument, which he will use in his research with students and collaborators at other institutions. Dr. Huber studies vibrational modes of objects (including musical instruments!).

Fall dance concert – Well, it’s too late to go now, but this concert featured choreography by 11 different students. Costume and lighting design was also by students. Sad you missed it? Keep watching, there will be another chance– theatre and dance regularly showcase student work in this way.

Paleolimnology J-term class investigates local mud – Check out the Geology department blog for some stories on the research this class is doing with Dr. Laura Triplett. They’re investigating the mud from the bottom of Lake Hallett in St. Peter.

The latest story on the Gustavus forensics team – Really, if I posted all the news about this team it would fill my blog! Visit their homepage for more. They seem to be having another great year.

New confocal microscope in biology – This amazing instrument was acquired through our Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant and will have an enormous impact on student/faculty research at Gustavus.

Wow, writing this post reminded me how many new instrumentation grants we got this fall. Kudos to everyone involved in those grant proposals!

Did I miss your favorite news story? Got new news to share? Please let me know if there’s anything you’d like to see in this blog – Comment or write to brussell@gustavus.edu